Master of Business Administration
Faculty / School
School of Business Studies (SBS)
Syed Atif Murtaza Qaiser
Project Coordinator (External)
Mr Fawaz Ahmed, Chief Operating Officer
Ismail Industries Limited
Committee Member 1
Syed Atif Murtaza Qaiser Visiting Faculty Department of Marketing Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi
MBA Research Project
Abstract / Summary
New product development and launch is a comprehensive activity for any company and involves several huge investments in terms of time, money and efforts. This study is then undertaken to offer consultation and advice to our client, Ismail Industries Limited, for the launch of a new product.
More specifically, it serves to prepare feasibility for Ismail Industries Limited to launch an affordable and healthy breakfast cereal in Pakistan for young children to capture the opportunity in the breakfast cereals segment and gain maximum market share by studying in-depth consumers’ as well as shoppers’ needs and behaviours concerning the category.
Some of the key outcomes of this project are to develop:
- An in-depth understanding of the consumers’ general attitude towards breakfast and related consumption and preferences;
- A complete understanding of the consumers’ general attitude towards cereals and their consumption routines and preferences;
- A comprehensive picture of the competitive landscape to fully understand the offerings provided by competitors and options available for consumers;
- Financial feasibility of three product types: chocolate rice crispy, corn-based fruit loops and rice crispies; and
- A complete launch campaign designed to communicate and resonate with consumers/customers via a chosen positioning for the new product.
To achieve the objectives of this study, a hybrid methodology, comprising of both qualitative and quantitative aspects, were utilized. Secondary research followed by exploratory research was carried out to gain an initial understanding of the breakfast category. It was built upon through extensive primary research consisting of in-depth interviews and surveys of both consumers and shoppers. Data was then collected and analyzed to extract key actionable insights.
The research revealed that the breakfast category for children indeed has potential in the Pakistani market. This can be capitalized upon by introducing a nutrient-rich, chocolate-flavoured, high-quality yet affordable breakfast cereal in the market to satisfy both the consumers as well as the shoppers.
Based on the results obtained, recommendations are proposed to Ismail Industries Limited in two broad domains: financial feasibility and marketing plan.
Asif, H., Tejani, I., Zaman, R., Sindhu, S., & Ahmed, U. (2021). Feasibility study for breakfast cereal launch (Unpublished graduate research project). Institute of Business Administration, Pakistan. Retrieved from https://ir.iba.edu.pk/research-projects-mba/263
Available for download on Wednesday, July 14, 2027
The full text of this document is only accessible to authorized users.