Master of Business Administration
Faculty / School
Faculty of Business Administration (FBA)
Committee Member 1
Akhtar Mahmood, Visiting Faculty Business Administration - Academic Affairs, Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi
MBA Research Project
Abstract / Summary
The initial goal of the project was to extract insights on the habits and attitudes of consumer’s vis a vis whitening of teeth. On request of the client, we also developed a Digital Launch Plan for Optic White centered on engaging social media posts, games, videos across all social media channels. The report entails primary research findings carried out through Consumer Surveys and In-depth Interviews. The report also includes secondary research conducted through literature review.
The scope of the study was to find the key consumer insights and their attitude towards teeth whitening and oral care. Some key insights were as follows:
- Consumers believe that whiter teeth make them look more confident and good-looking. However, they do not specifically look for whitening properties when purchasing a toothpaste. Instead they prefer a product that provides multiple benefits or freshness of breath.
- Consumers were not able to verbalize that they would like to have whiter teeth owing to the “feel-good” factor that whiter teeth have to offer. However, subconsciously white teeth were important to consumers.
- Most consumers had never opted for a whitening treatment and would prefer a whitening toothpaste over a whitening treatment owing to it being cheaper and more convenient to use
- Trust in the brand plays a key role in purchase decision.
- Consumers were willing to pay a higher price for toothpastes with an added teeth whitening feature.
Based on the consumer insights we strongly believe that as a brand is a single idea and must stand for something, Colgate Optic White should be positioned exclusively as a whitening toothpaste; it should not confuse the target market with multiple benefits. We have attached a sample ad in Appendix BF to reinforce our positioning strategy. This positioning strategy will not cannibalize other Colgate variants in the local market as the price for Optic White will be around Rs.300 which would make it a niche brand.
Naeem, F., Saleem, H., Ahmed, M., Ibrahim, M., Lobo, R., & Farooqui, T. N. (2019). Digital marketing plan for optic white (Unpublished graduate research project). Institute of Business Administration, Pakistan. Retrieved from https://ir.iba.edu.pk/research-projects-mba/215
Available for download on Friday, December 04, 2026
The full text of this document is only accessible to authorized users.