Download (3.5 MB)
Faculty / School
Faculty of Business Administration (FBA)
Department of Economics
Was this content written or created while at IBA?
Abstract / Description
The bond market is a key securities market and emerging economies present exciting, new investment opportunities. This timely book provides insights into these emerging bond markets through empirical models and analytical databases, i.e. Bloomberg, Eikon Refinitiv and the Russian Cbonds.
The book looks at the dynamics of the development of emerging bond markets, their competitiveness, features and patterns using macro and micro level data. It also takes into consideration various securities type i.e. government, corporate, sub-federal and municipal bonds, to identify respective challenges and risks. The book also analyses factors that may inhibit or stimulate a well-balanced financial market. It includes case studies of Asian, Latin American and Russian bond markets, as also as cross-country comparisons.
It will be a useful reference for anyone who is interested to learn more of the bond market and the modelling techniques for critical data analysis.
Table of Contents
Part 1 Trends and determinants of bond market development
1. Change in tendencies in the global debt market: Specifics of development of emerging markets
2. Asian bond markets: Potential benefits for global investors
3. National currency weakness and collective investment as determinants of development of domestic corporate bond markets
Part 2 Pricing in bond markets
4. The determinants of government bond yields in emerging markets
5. Regional bond yields: Debt burden and liquidity are the key factors
6. Liquidity metrics in the bond market: Explaining yields in the non-financial and banking sectors
7. Determinants of bank bond spreads in Latin America
8. Specifics of pricing of corporate bonds with embedded put and call options
9. Do covenants really reduce the cost of debt in emerging markets?
Part 3 If the default is tomorrow
10. If the default is tomorrow: Factors influencing corporate bond recovery rates 11. Determinants of corporate bond defaults: The role of corporate governance in emerging markets
Part 4 Forecasting the dynamics of the bond market
12. Sanction shock and the SSA Caterpillar method: Forecasting the market dynamics
13. Modelling and forecasting systemic risk on the bond market Part 5 ETFs and portfolio investment
14. A new tool for an investor in the bond market: Corporate bond ETF
15. Portfolio investment in emerging bond markets: Trends and determinants
Part 6 Anomalies in the bond markets
16. Calendar effects in emerging bond markets
17. Which investment strategy is profitable in the bond market Reverse or momentum? What about risk?
Part 7 Analytical and information databases: Algorithms of work
18. Eikon Refinitiv, Bloomberg, and Cbonds databases for solving research problems
© 2020 Tamara Teplova, Tatiana V. Sokolova and Qaiser Munir
The right of Tamara Teplova, Tatiana V. Sokolova and Qaiser Munir to be identified as authors of this work has been asserted by them in accordance with sections 77 and 78 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reprinted or reproduced or utilised in any form or by any electronic, mechanical, or other means, now known or hereafter invented, including photocopying and recording, or in any information storage or retrieval system, without permission in writing from the publishers.
Teplova, T., Sokolova, T. V., & Munir, Q. (2020). Emerging Bond Markets: Shedding Light on Trends and Patterns. Routledge.
Teplova, T., Sokolova, T. V., & Munir, Q. (2020). Emerging bond markets: shedding light on trends and patterns. Retrieved from https://ir.iba.edu.pk/faculty-research-books/1